Monday, March 05, 2007

Easy Money


Brad Duke, a 34-year-old manager for Gold's Gym franchises in Idaho, took home a lump sum of $85 million in 2005 after winning a $220 million Powerball jackpot. His first task with his windfall: assembling a team of financial advisors. His goal: to use his winnings to become a billionaire.

Here's what he’s done with his money so far.

• $45 million: Invested in safe, low-risk investments such as municipal bonds
• $35 million: Put into aggressive investments like oil and gas and real estate
• $1.3 million: Started a family foundation
• $63,000: Treated 17 friends to a trip to Tahiti
• $125,000: Paid off the mortgage on his 1,400-square-foot house
• $18,000: Paid off student loans
• $65,000: Bought new bicycles, including a $12,000 BMC road bike
• $14,500: Bought a used black VW Jetta
• $12,000: Annual gift to each family member

I’m not sure what I’d do with such a windfall. For sure, I’d do some traveling. I’m sure I would buy a new house. I’d probably buy a new car, too – and definitely not a used VW. With money to burn, why not go for my dream car, say a shiny new Porsche?

What dreams would you fulfill if such a bundle of money landed in your lap?

Today’s Words Gone Wild have royally stumped Twisted Linguistics. I got the first one:

gave her a great complement - Provided her with a sweater that perfectly matched her pants.

Trying to figure out the rest was causing my synapses to do extremely bizarre things. I’ve tempted fate too much lately, so how about you guys tackle these?

reinbursed
parhina
abritration


What’s your ideal career?


Your Career Type: Artistic

You are expressive, original, and independent.
Your talents lie in your artistic abilities: creative writing, drama, crafts, music, or art.

You would make an excellent:

Actor - Art Teacher - Book Editor
Clothes Designer - Comedian - Composer
Dancer - DJ - Graphic Designer
Illustrator - Musician - Sculptor

The worst career options for your are conventional careers, like bank teller or secretary.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember being in school and being asked what I wanted to do when I grew up and all I could come up with is retire. I think that is what I would do. Travel maybe, write that book probably, but mostly just get to know me.

I like this guy's plan personally. I would give more to my family, but other than that it is pretty good.

tfg said...

With all of that money, I'd probably splurge and upgrade from my '93 Camry to a '94.

Serena said...

I thought it was a pretty good plan, too, Kan. True, it's a little chintzy with the family, but with the invested money growing there'll be a bundle to leave them later on.

I would NOT want the time to sit around and get to know myself. I'm afraid I'd scare me.:)

TFG, I like your style. And I'd like a ride in that snazzy '94 Camry.:)

Lee said...

I have my plans in order for when I win a major lottery. Notice I said "when", not "if"...I'm trying to be positive here! It hasn't worked yet, but I'm eternally positive!

I would ensure all my good friends were taken care of. I don't want a huge mansion, but I would get myself a home that suited me and my needs...a little cottage on a couple of private acres. I would make sure I had the best kitchen and walk-in pantry...an integrated sound system, a well-stocked wine cellar, wall-to-wall-ceiling-to floor bookcases, filled to overload, and indoor swimming pool surrounded by a leafy, lush covered entertaining area, and an Audi RS 8 in my garage...or perhaps, like Serena, a Porsche'.

I would invest some securely and let it work for me....and I would buy a cupboard full of Italian-made shoes!

And...I would hire someone to put clean sheets on my bed every day! ;)

LZ Blogger said...

Maybe a travel guide? But I'd rather have to figure out how to invest the $85 million... ~ jb///

Serena said...

My word, Lee, you DO have a plan. WHEN you win it, I hope we wear the same size shoes.:)

LZ, with that kind of $$ you wouldn't even need the travel guide. You could simply hop on a plane any time you got a hankering to see some far-off place. It would be nice, wouldn't it?

rkfinnell said...

***Your Career Type: Artistic***


You are expressive, original, and independent.
Your talents lie in your artistic abilities: creative writing, drama, crafts, music, or art.

You would make an excellent:

Actor - Art Teacher - Book Editor
Clothes Designer - Comedian - Composer
Dancer - DJ - Graphic Designer
Illustrator - Musician - Sculptor

The worst career options for your are conventional careers, like bank teller or secretary.

I already have a plan for my millions. To start a crafters retreat. Sort of a bed and breakfast for crafters. I once even had a plan figured out for it.

Camille Alexa said...

parhina--lovely shawl-like garment of soft woven fibers worn by upper-caste women on the planet Argos.

Camille Alexa said...

***Your Career Type: Artistic***


I predict a running theme on this blog...

Hale McKay said...

Abitration - negotiating a price with one of those weight loss programs for the solid abs you want.

reinbursed - put a holy document back into a silk case*

*this is almost a real word - a BURSE is a folded silk case for holy objects in a church, usually documents; also used to carry communion wafers and to cover chalices.

parhina - a cross between a hyena and a piranha?

Serena said...

Yes!! Littlebird and Mike come through on those warped words once again. Clearly, I'm a heathen; I had no idea what a burse was. Now that you've explained it, I can see the abs thing, too. I LOVE both of your definitions of pirhina!

I think you're right about the theme, Littlebird. Like attracts like. Seems only natural.

Serena said...

Roxan, are you into crafting? I didn't know that about you. A crafter's retreat would be something unique. I think I'd create a humongous kennel retreat with my millions.

rkfinnell said...

I crochet, knit and quilt. I figured I'd include all crafting since not everyone likes the same thing. For instance I don't get the whole scrapbooking thing.

You could call it the Posh Puppy Pound. lol