Saturday, January 06, 2024

Gloom, Interrupted

 

I feel a tap on my shoulder, look up, and there stands my fairy godmother.

“Geez!” I shriek. “Don't you ever knock?”

Where would be the fun in that? So, how're you doing?”

Ugh,” I say.

Unhappy, are you?”

Neither unhappy nor particularly happy.”

Sad?”

No.”

Depressed?”

No.”

Sick?”

No. Just … blah. Why are you bothering me today, anyway?”

Hey, I'm no bother, chica. It's my job to check in on you every now and then.”

Well...”

So, what's the problem?”

No problem. I'm just … bored, I think. With everybody and everything.”

So, what do you want to do about that?”

I don't know.”

What do you want?”

I don't know.”

What do you need?”

I don't know. That's my problem. I feel like I need or want something that I'm missing, but I don't know what it is.”

Well, you're no fun. Why don't you give it a thought and I'll check back in on you sometime this decade.”

Whereupon she whops me upside the head with her wand and disappears in a poof of glitter.

She'll be back, and I'll still be bored. But I will give it some thought and see if I can think of what it is I want.

And that's all she wrote.




No comments: