Monday, April 24, 2023

Ribbit!


I like frogs. I used to collect them. Not live ones, of course. Now my collection is down to 2, one crystal and one green glass. I love to hear the little things yacking away in their little froggie language. Some people find the noise annoying, but I like it.

They're strange little creatures, aren't they? Vaguely prehistoric looking. But so cute. They come in all manner of sizes and colors. I'm partial to the small green ones, anything but toads.

Frogs do NOT turn into princes, trust me. If that were true, we'd all be out kissing frogs all day long. Although, I can't prove that. I've never kissed one. I'll talk to them, but kissing is off the table. Besides, who needs a prince? History regales us with tales of the misdeeds and mayhem of princes. Princes and presidents, kings and emperors, dictators and ayatollahs, pontiffs and pretenders have led nations to ruin. The U.S. has never had a monarch, not for lack of trying by various and sundry power hungry wannabes. We've never coronated any of them. Yet.

If we're ever going to crown a king or queen, I nominate a nice plump green frog. They're way less trouble. And cheap to maintain. Give a frog a pond, a lily pad, and all the bugs he can eat and he's perfectly content. Leave a frog alone and he'll leave you alone. How many leaders can you say that about? It'll be a Ribbit Rebellion.

No comments: