Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Apartment House Telephone Game


 Do you remember the old "telephone" game? They play that a lot in my apartment building. Here's how a typical round might play out.

Loretta to Prudence: Going to the doctor tomorrow to get this cyst on the back of my neck removed, but don't tell anybody. I don't want people worrying about me and making a big to-do about it.

Prudence to Nora: Don't tell anybody but Loretta's got a lump on her neck!

Nora to Crystal: My Lord, did you hear about Loretta? She's got a tumor on the back of her head.

Crystal to Minnie Sue: We need to get a prayer chain going for Loretta. She's having brain surgery today and they say she might not make it!

Minnie Sue to Margot: Honey, call your preacher and get him over here to pray over Loretta. She has a brain tumor. But tell him not to bring the snakes. Remember how everybody ran screaming over that little ol' green snake on the sidewalk last summer? Like to have given everybody a stroke!

Margot to Otto: Loretta done had a stroke when a snake bit her and now she's got the brain cancer.

Otto to Darwin: Good God, this place is a death trap. Now poor old Loretta's dying. I hear she's got cancer and now she's had a stroke or an aneurysm or something. It don't look good.

Darwin to Lana: Have you heard about Loretta? She's eaten up with cancer and now it's in her brain. And if that wasn't bad enough, she had a heart attack. Or maybe it was a stroke. Either way, looks like she doesn't have much time left.

Lana to Larry: Better say your goodbyes to Loretta, she's probably dying. Who knows if she'll even make it back home today.

Larry, the Village Idiot of the Complex: Loretta is dead! Oh, my God! Oh, this is awful! But don't worry, I'll get to the bottom of it. I knew somebody was after her and I've been investigating. I'm on the case and I'll find out who killed her! Oh, and I get her big screen TV.

About that time, Loretta walks through the door with a Band-Aid on the back of her neck and cannot comprehend the sudden gasps and shrieks, some folks rushing forward to hug her, others backing away in horror from Loretta the walking dead.

2 comments:

Lee said...

And that's how it starts!!!

However, I've never played that game. :)

Take care.

Serena said...

I remember playing it in grade school, Lee. But you're right, that is how it starts.:) I've seen this "game" used as a demonstration of how inaccurate eyewitnesses can be. Very interesting results!