Friday, February 16, 2007

Slanguage

Myspace Layouts



Relax the standards
And anything can happen.
What up? Yo, mama!


I use a lot of slang. It's hard not to these days when it's so freely used everywhere, even in the media. It's part of the vernacular, and here to stay. Slang can be defined as the use of highly informal words and phrases. To qualify as slang, the words must be outside the norm of what is considered standard usage in a given language or dialect. Slang is prevalently specific to a particular context or group, while language and dialect tend to be specific to a particular location.

Slang words usually evolve (devolve?) as deviations from standard language. Slang is very popular with adolescents, who sometimes seem to have a whole secret language. All age groups and all classes use it, however. Those of you who are old enough remember the slang from the Beat Generation, which was followed by the new terminology coined by the Hippie movement, which gave way to the wealth of slang now firmly entrenched.

There are all kinds of sub-cultures of slang, some of which intermingle. There's street slang, gangsta slang, sexual slang, Internet slang. Since I'm on the computer so much, I see a lot of Internet slang: ASAP, bot, blog, FAQ, DFTT (don't feed the troll), FFS (for fuck's sake), flaming, FUBAR (fucked up beyond all repair), hit, lurk, newbie, snail mail. And Internet slang does not, of course, preclude all the rest of the slang. During one sitting of Net cruising, you're quite likely to see sexual slang (boink, boff, get busy, do -- and this doesn't even include the myriad slang terms for body parts), Thug/Gangsta slang (bitch, ho, pimped out, crib, bling, grill, posse, dog), and all the myriad other slang subsets.

And last but not least is the ever present "MoFo" -- and all variations thereof.

Without a doubt, new slangology pops up every day. New terms pop onto the scene suddenly and old terms can become passe just as suddenly. Just because you knew the lingo yesterday doesn't necessarily mean you'll know it today. I happened across these two slang terms yesterday which were new to me:

connectile dysfunction
1. The inability to gain or maintain an internet connection.
2. The inability to print, email, or get to the internet.

Aberzombie: One who wears only Abercrombie & Fitch clothing.

Tell me some of your favorite slang words.

I found these Words Gone Wild getting ready for the weekend. Those of you who have proved to be so adept at Twisted Linguistics, give them your best shot.

exhaulted

universities or collages

in dependant law schools

recived

authours

perpective

where readers collesce


What slanguage do you speak? Warning: This one is HARD.





Your Slanguage Profile



Prison Slang: 50%

Southern Slang: 50%

Aussie Slang: 25%

Canadian Slang: 25%

New England Slang: 25%

Victorian Slang: 25%

8 comments:

Unknown said...

exhaulted- when a past lover is stopped

universities or collages- a school for learning how to place cut outs from magazines together

in dependant law schools- law schools for those who have yet to pay their own bills

recived- recreationally using IV's

perpective- the perspective of a perp AKA criminal

where readers collesce- I have no clue

Anonymous said...

Serena, just a quick hi and bye. I'm still away but wanted to drop in.

Hale McKay said...

FUBAR - (I know the "R" as "recognition"

Both FUBAR and SNAFU (Situatiom Normal, All Fucked Up) were acronyms that originated on the battlefields of WWII.
....Snafu has become an accepted word in and of itself and probably not many know it was an acronym. SCUBA (Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) is another that is now an accepted word.

perpective - a viewing angle to study the muscular shape of a body, especially that of the pectoral region.

exhaulted - the condition displayed when two very tired lovers rest to have an obligatory cigarette after.

where readers collesce - usually a recliner next to a lamp where a reader becomes one with a good book.

independant law schools - institutions where the diploma is encased in a charm to be worn about the neck, as opposed to one that is suitable for framing.

I sent you a proposal of sorts in the e-mail.

Corn Dog said...

Aussie Slang: 50%
British Slang: 50%
Prison Slang: 50%
Southern Slang: 25%
Canadian Slang: 0%
New England Slang: 0%

B-b-b-but I'm from the South. I didn't know a single word on that test. I need to study.

Serena said...

Hi, Steve. {waving} When 'ya coming back?

Great definitions, Kan. Now I know why there's such a pandemic of WGWs -- they're all abusing IVs.:)

CD, that was a damned hard quiz. I'm Southern, and I missed a lot of the Southernisms. I know one thing -- my boss needs a better class of client. I know way too much prison slang. LOL.

Oooo, Mike, I love proposals. I just read it, and I LOVE it. I'll get back 2 U ASAP, like before my thinking goes FUBAR.

Your definitions are smack, too. I especially like "perpective." Hey, I had no idea that snafu was an acronym. I learn something every day.

Rain said...

I don't know how I learned the aussie slang :)

rkfinnell said...

Your Slanguage Profile

Aussie Slang: 75%

Canadian Slang: 75%

British Slang: 25%

Prison Slang: 25%

Southern Slang: 25%

Victorian Slang: 25%

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Aussie Slang: 75%

Canadian Slang: 50%

Southern Slang: 50%

British Slang: 25%

New England Slang: 25%

Prison Slang: 25%

Dang, that was a hard test.

(Waves to Steve in passing)