Saturday, December 30, 2006

Swallowing the Bad





Things always happen just the way they're supposed to. It may not always seem so. In the long-run, when we reexamine bad (even über bad) mojo in hindsight, we can see that it did, in fact, unfold just as it was intended to. One swallows it because one must and, yes, it is bitter and vile going down. A spoonful of sugar cancels out the bitter aftertaste, however, and it's the sweet taste that lingers.

There is something to be learned from even the worst things that happen to us. If it happened, it most likely happened for a reason. Perhaps something in one's physical, spiritual, or emotional makeup needed to be strengthened or tightened, if not altogether restructured. It's always possible that one needed to experience wearing the shoe on the other foot, or to walk a mile in the shoes of another. Sometimes, the lesson being conveyed is humility. Or endurance. Or empathy, conviction, or perseverance.

We complain about the bad stuff but, in the end, we take something from it -- presupposing that we are strong enough to do so and don't give in, give up, and collapse under its weight. Unless, of course, it kills us. If it doesn't, it makes us stronger; if it does, perhaps it was our time. Who can know, though? We can ponder these esoteric questions until the cows come home and, still, we may never know on this side of the veil. Things happening for a reason (and drawing us a picture in the process) is something I choose to believe. I find that it puts all the bad stuff into some kind of perspective that can be appreciated on a human level.

Some other things, you just know, and you're so sure of it that you know it in your mind, your heart, and deep in your bones, but that knowledge is useless until/unless you can prove it. I got some goods yesterday. It was a long time coming and it took some professional technical help. Lord God Almighty, it took long enough, but ... I got the goods that put paid to an old problem. That makes me happy -- and a lot of other people are getting savvy to the whole thing, also happy-making. That and two dollars will, of course, get me a cup of weak coffee, but the peace of mind is priceless and the knowing is worth any price.


New Year's Resolutions You Can Actually Keep:

10. Read less.

9. I want to gain weight. Put on at least 30 pounds.

8. Stop exercising. Waste of time.

7. Watch more TV. I've been missing some good stuff.

6. Procrastinate more.

5. Drink. Drink some more.

4. Start being superstitious.

3. Spend more time at work.

2. Stop bringing lunch from home: I should eat out more.

and last but not least...

1. Take up a new habit: maybe smoking!


New Year's Resolutions For Pets:

15. I will not eat other animals' poop.

14. I will not lick my human's face after eating animal poop.

13. I do not need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm lying under the coffee table.

12. My head does not belong in the refrigerator.

11. I will no longer be beholden to the sound of the can opener.

10. Cats: Circulate a petition that sleeping become a juried competition in major animal shows.

9. Come to understand that cats are from Venus; dogs are from Mars.

8. Take time from busy schedule to stop and smell the behinds.

7. Hamster: Don't let them figure out I'm just a rat on steroids, or they'll flush me!

6. Get a bite in on that freak who gives me that shot every year.

5. Grow opposable thumb; break into pantry; decide for MYSELF how much food is *too* much.

4. Cats: Use new living room sofa as scratching post.

3. January 1st: Kill the sock! Must kill the sock!
January 2nd - December 31: Relive victory over the sock.

2. The garbage collector is NOT stealing our stuff.

AND the Number 1 New Year's Resolutions Made by Pets...

1. I will NOT chase the stick until I see it LEAVE THE IDIOT'S HAND




You Are 66% Peaceful

You are a very peaceful person. All is good in your world, no matter what's going on.
Occasionally you let your problems get to you, but you generally remain upbeat.
Your inner strength is inspirational - much more so than you may realize.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serena, this is funny. Wish I had posted it.

Serena said...

I wish that I could take credit for the "resolutions," but I can't. They were in those ubiquitous forwarded e-mails that make the rounds.:)

Rex Zeitgeist said...

You Are 39% Peaceful

You aren't a very peaceful person, and you are at odds with almost everyone.
Relax! No one is out to get you.
Let other people make their mistakes. Their idiocy is not your burden.


Nothing like a computer telling me I am to stressed out and judgemental!


Hey SJ, did you see the slide show we had at the PWZ yesterday?

Serena said...

Yeah, really, who needs their computer telling them what their problems are? LOL. On the other hand, computers are vital in tracking down and obliterating virtual plagues.

No, I don't think I saw the slideshow. I'll go take a look.

Rex Zeitgeist said...

I got my pick back up...and I am the 17 year old kid laying the in puddle of spittle....

Serena said...

Gotcha.:)

I don't even have any pix of me at 17. I was off doing my "rebel" thing then.

Corn Dog said...

ha ha...I Love those pet's new year's resolutions...

Serena said...

Glad you enjoyed them, CD. Happy New Year to you!