Thursday, November 02, 2006

Head-banging






She's home, she has a headache, and she is not to be trifled with. There are lunatics out on the highways and in the stores. Geez.

The epidemic of Hellish Muleishness is apparently spreading among computers. I had trouble with one of mine all last evening, and today the one at work gave me fits. Personally, I'm beginning to think it's the suck-ass ISP and not the computer, per se.

In other news of the weird and the insane, there was a triple murder here in Virginia in 2002 -- an entire family. The sheriff's department of the nearby county where it happened is the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction and the responsibility to solve the case. There were rumors that perhaps one of the victims was involved in some unsavory activities, and other rumors that the man and his wife possibly knew/saw something they shouldn't have. The third victim was their 9-year-old child. To date, there's been no arrest and nothing much more than wild goose chases insofar as potential suspects. The sheriff would go on TV from time to time and assure the public that they were working on the case every day, developing suspects, expected an arrest at some unnamed time in the future, yada-yada-yada. Today, the computer has been blazing with news alerts and there have been news conferences on all the local TV stations. Not because the case has been cracked, but because the sheriff and thirteen of his deputies have been indicted on federal charges of racketeering, conspiracy to distribute narcotics, gun running, and money laundering. That department's been in the news a lot for their "drug sweeps." They'd round up multiple suspects, arrest them and send them off to jail, and confiscate drugs, guns, and money. And then, according to the indictments, they turned around and sold the same drugs and guns on the streets. The fact that the dead family had a brother-in-law who's a sheriff's deputy is now a fairly stinky smelling coincidence. I know you all don't know anything about the murder case or the podunk sheriff's department that was supposed to solve it, which makes this pretty much a non sequitur. It's huge news around here, though.

I need food and I need to sit back and put my feet up. This would be a good time to do both those things. That King book is growing on me after all, so I think I'll go read a few chapters while I'm taking care of my growling stomach. And, of course, it needs to be fed before I can swallow a few Ibuprofen for the headache. This one's not brought on by smacking myself in the head. I do that sometimes. Doesn't everyone? Like, I did something so damn stupid a while back that I slap my head every time I even think about it. I had to stop thinking about it to avoid brain damage.

Ciao for now. It's chow time. We'll have some fun with Twisted Linguistics later, I promise.

1 comment:

Serena said...

I had my snack and got rid of the headache. Now I'm thinking about dinner. Nighty-night, Steve.