Thursday, April 02, 2020

COVID Watch


I haven't blogged in ages. I didn't realize it had been so long. But dang, there's a global pandemic going on. It's as good a day as any to try it again. I may just be blogging to myself since I don't know who's left in blog land, but that's okay. Gives me something to do.

The photo is my darling Shelter in Place partner, watching Animal Planet. She won't watch those daily White House political rallies -- excuse me, briefings. Neither will I. I was getting ready to go out on a supply run, so I had to get her set up. We've lived in this apartment for 17 months and she still doesn't like it. She'll cry and carry on if I leave her, so I have to set her up on my bed with her blankets, snacks, the TV tuned to AP, and close her in.

We in Virginia are under a Stay at Home order until June. One does get a bit bored. You can't go shopping; only "essential" stores are open. You can't eat out; all the restaurants are closed except for takeout and delivery. Pretty much everything is closed. Gas is down to $1.83 a gallon and there's nowhere to go except the grocery store, Walmart, or a dollar store. I read, watch TV, listen to music. I walk the dog. I make myself do household chores. And I paint my toenails. A lot.

I had a good supply of non-perishable food, extra water pitcher filters (and a backup case of water), batteries, toothpaste and soap and stuff on hand before all this started. I haven't watched years of The Walking Dead and learned nothing. I did not know it would be next to impossible to buy toilet paper and Lysol spray/wipes, and I waited too long. Luckily, I've been able to scrounge up those items online, so I'm good. Today, I scored 2 bottles of hand sanitizer at Dollar General. Felt like I'd won the lottery!

COVID-19 is scary. Not panic inducing, but enough to instill a healthy sense of caution. I've seen flu epidemics before but, thankfully, never got sick. Coronavirus is, of course, different, but I'm hoping my luck holds. There's no way to predict just how bad this will get. I don't think it'll reach "Captain Trips" proportions, but we don't know.

Whoever happens to stop by here, tell me how you're riding it out, how you're doing, what you've been up to. And how bored you are. Above all, practice physical distancing, stay safe, and be well.

No comments: