Monday, May 11, 2009

Rock-a-Bye Baby


Recently, I bought a hanging basket containing a geranium plant for my patio. It hadn't been up more than a day or two before I noticed a beautiful little bird couple flying in and out of it, bearing twigs and stuff. I was pretty sure they were building a nest. I'm not sure what kind of birds they are, though I'm told they're most likely purple finches. Anyway, I wanted to take a peek Saturday to see if there were any eggs, so when Mama Bird was away, I carefully lowered the basket. I was expecting to see two or three eggs but, lo and behold, there were six. They're tiny, marble-sized blue eggs. I'm not sure how long bird gestation takes, but I would think there will be six little baby birds chirping on my patio very soon.

I hope you guys had a great weekend, and I wish you a Happy Monday.

6 comments:

rkfinnell said...

Congrats, grandma! LOL

Serena said...

Grandma. Ha! I hadn't thought of it in those terms.:-)

G-Man said...

I'm see'in a teeny tiny omelette!!

Granny...

Serena said...

Oh, no, you don't, Mr. Galen! Not MY babies -- er, grandbabies. See what you started, Roxan?:)

Skunkfeathers said...

That "omelette" wouldn't feed a hamster, G-man ;)

Once the young 'uns start to feather, you'll have to watch where you walk and sit, 'til they figger out how to get the wings workin' ;)

Serena said...

I thought about that, Skunk, and I'll be cautious. I just hope none of them fall out of the nest, because the floor is hard. Hopefully, their mama will keep a sharp eye on them 'til they can fly.