Monday, March 26, 2007

SJ on Aging

Click to get cool Animations for your MySpace profile

I'm getting older every day. I know that, and I'm okay with it -- considering the alternative.

I don't feel particularly old, or act it. I wonder (sometimes), though, how I'll relate to the world around me when I actually am so old that I can't deny it and will have to own up to it? Will, for example, the meaning of "hot" change? Will hot be the guy who's not on a walker, the one whose pants aren't pulled up to his chin? Will the old gents think I'm hot as long as I can find my mouth with my lipstick or wear cute orthopaedic shoes -- and remember how to tie them? I think it might be pretty hot to run around -- okay, dodder around without a sweater and scarf on 90-degree days. To have a driver's license and be able to see over the steering wheel at 90 -- that would be pretty hot. But lawsy me, how will I live when Jello is my ultimate turn-on and there's support hose in my lingerie drawer?

I took a lot for granted when I was young. I rarely stopped and considered the consequences of anything. If it felt like the right thing (or the fun thing or the feel-good thing) to do, I went on and did it, taking it for granted that it would be fine. And it always was. Rarely did I fail to land on my feet. I still follow my impulses to a large extent, and most of the time it even comes out okay. What I've learned with age, however, is to take nothing for granted. I've learned that the entire topography of life is in a constant state of flux. Everything changes. Eventually. Everything. I know just as sure as the sun will probably come up tomorrow that if I get complacent, cocky, or over confident, Kismet will schedule me for an immediate sea change. If I become too attached to something, it will soon be gone. If I expect that a thing will always be there, I can expect it to disappear overnight. By not taking those things for granted, I save myself from disappointment. I think. Maybe I'm fooling myself but, what the hell, as long as it works. Anyway, I make it a point to enjoy each and every thing to its fullest and appreciate it each day that I have it, just because I know it can't last forever.

Today's Twisted Linguistics Words Gone Wild

deep seeded feeling - When grass starts sprouting on your back.

reduntant - Sent back to the corner with the dunce cap.

decifer - Lucifer's little brother

freash - A freak with wandering hands.

honer - Device on which to place manuscripts for literary tweaking.

becue - You be the eight ball and I be the stick.

What age do you act?

You Are 30 Years Old

Under 12: You are a kid at heart. You still have an optimistic life view - and you look at the world with awe.

13-19: You are a teenager at heart. You question authority and are still trying to find your place in this world.

20-29: You are a twentysomething at heart. You feel excited about what's to come... love, work, and new experiences.

30-39: You are a thirtysomething at heart. You've had a taste of success and true love, but you want more!

40+: You are a mature adult. You've been through most of the ups and downs of life already. Now you get to sit back and relax.

21 comments:

tfg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tfg said...

During my Golden Years, I think I'm going to look hot in Depends. Now that I mention it, I don't look so bad in them now.

MXI said...

27 years old. I don't know whether to feel good about acting young or feel ashamed for being so immature.

Serena said...

You know, TFG, if you wear the Depends sarong-style, it looks blistering hot. Just don't shoot yourself in the foot by wearing black knee socks with it.:)

Woo-hoo, MXI -- 27! Practically jailbait. The thing called me a bit immature, too. I don't feel an ounce of shame.

Anonymous said...

Apparently I act my age.

tfg said...

I make black, stocking knee socks and sandals look damn good.

Now that we know how old you act, are you going to tell us how old you are?

rkfinnell said...

***You Are 17 Years Old***


13-19: You are a teenager at heart. You question authority and are still trying to find your place in this world.

The quiz did not have answers that related to my situation, so I had to cheat.
LOL

Camille Alexa said...

deep seeded feeling--
Naughty! Seeley writes books like this, what with the deeply-planted seed and the flesh hammers and the purple prose.


S-Jay, you and I are the same age.
though like Roxan, I didn't find many of the answers very pertinent to my lifestyle.

Serena said...

Apparently I act my age.

You're young enough to get away with it, Seeley.:)

I make black, stocking knee socks and sandals look damn good.

LOL, T. Just make sure you get a little sun on those legs.

Now that we know how old you act, are you going to tell us how old you are?

Of course not! Do I look insane to you? Besides, guessing is much more fun. All I'll say is that I'm somewhere between 10 and 110.

The quiz did not have answers that related to my situation, so I had to cheat.

It didn't relate to me, either, Roxan, so ... you know the rule: when in doubt, cheat. LOL.

Naughty! Seeley writes books like this, what with the deeply-planted seed and the flesh hammers and the purple prose.

LOL, Camille. I just had this deep-seated urge to make grass with that one. I like what Seeley does with it MUCH better.:)

S-Jay, you and I are the same age, though like Roxan, I didn't find many of the answers very pertinent to my lifestyle.

There was that. Most of it hasn't been pertinent to my lifestyle since around college age.

Shelly said...

Hi I really enjoyed reading your blog and was wondering if you would like to add it to my directory?
http://www.weblog-index.com

Thanks, Shelly

Serena said...

Thanks, Shelly. I'll check out your site.

Hale McKay said...

If recognizing Little Lulu means I'm old ....now where did i leave my walker?

Serena said...

LOL, Mike. I think your walker's over in the corner with TFG's Depends and my heating pad.

Hale McKay said...

SJ, I just contributed to Roxan's "Groovy" list. I came up with a handful.

Stacia said...

**applause**

Time's a bitch. I hate the way she keeps marching on.

Scary Monster said...

Hello SJ. Me feeling soo good right now. Me thinking that maybe we no have to worry about the way things look or how we turn out. Now be the moment and we must be lioving it for all it's worth. BTW Me love Jello, especially when me got whipped cream.

STOMP.

Serena said...

I just contributed to Roxan's "Groovy" list.

Groovy, Mike! I don't know where my head was; I KNEW those.

Time's a bitch. I hate the way she keeps marching on.

Me, too, December. She's a trouper, though, and she ain't gonna stop. We just have to march in step with her.

Me feeling soo good right now.

Hey, Scary! I'll bet you're laid up on the beach with a laptop. I'm so jealous! Nah, I don't worry about that stuff. The inevitable is, after all, the inevitable. I do hope that when I'm living for Jello, I get whipped cream with it.:)

ThatGreenyFlower said...

I am 26 years old. That feels about right:

20-29: You are a twentysomething at heart. You feel excited about what's to come... love, work, and new experiences.

And I wear support stockings NOW and baby, they're HOT.

Serena said...

And I wear support stockings NOW and baby, they're HOT.

Greeny, Greeny. You're ready for another fashionista tutorial, aren't you? LOL!

Corn Dog said...

I'm 20 going on 51.

Serena said...

That's a great age, CD!:)