Sunday, February 04, 2007

Here Today...





Take this quiz at QuizGalaxy.com



When I leave this world and begin my adventures on other planes, what will my legacy be? I'm not so old that I feel the Grim Reaper loitering in my doorway, but neither am I so young that I completely ignore the inevitable prospect. Not even a 21-year-old has any guarantee that the Reaper won't come today or tomorrow.

Philanthropy can't be my legacy. I work the job that makes me happy, not the one that pays the big bucks. As much as I would love to be able to do so, I won't be leaving behind trust funds to aid all the many worthy causes that do good works in this world.

My artistic skills are minimal, which pretty well ensures that I won't be leaving behind any masterpieces. Ditto my musical abilities, so there will be no CDs.

It would please me to leave at least one critically well received book, but that remains to be seen.

My legacy will no doubt have to be intangible. If I can leave my friends and loved ones with the knowledge that I was always available to listen and willing to help whenever possible... If they can rest assured that I took their secrets to my grave... If they are certain in their hearts that I loved them, respected and cherished each of them, and that I will miss them, then perhaps that would make a respectable legacy.

I know one legacy I live in horror of leaving behind -- my computers. What a mess! I have visions of those left behind sitting down at my machines and trying to make some sense of my hard drives. "Oh, my God!" I can hear them lamenting. "So many sites, so many user names, so many -- PASSWORDS!" They will no doubt wonder why I was interested in this, how I could possibly have participated in that. They will shake their heads at some of the saved exchanges and never comprehend how I came to get involved in cyber shouting matches with some very strange people. They will be outraged that some cretin would yell at a nice, inoffensive lady to "Fuck off!" And they will be flabbergasted that I said it back. I need to do some computer housecleaning, for sure. I have so many saved files, most of which are of absolutely no use to anyone (in any world) any more. I could probably go through and do a solid delete block and not miss a thing that goes poof. I really need to get on that because ... you just never know.

I'm not going to unplug, which means that stuff will keep on happening, for better or for worse. Hopefully, I will have enough notice from the Grim Reaper that I can wipe those hard drives. If not, all I can do is pity from afar those left to try and sort it all out.



I happened to glance at the NYT Bestseller List this morning and was immediately struck by a title -- "You Suck." What?! How many times a day do we all utter those two little words? And now somebody's nabbed it as a book title. "You Suck" was penned by Christopher Moore. It's the story of a 19-year-old who discovers that his girlfriend is a vampire -- and now, so is he. What an incredibly appropriate title! I haven't read it, but now I think I must.

Here are your Sunday-Go-To-Meeting Words Gone Wild, all dressed up for Twisted Linguistics.

pensil - A disease afflicting prehensile gonads.

eleminate - One who has been nominated to be elevated to elementary-school level.

online petefiles - Well, this is putting it a bit too literally for some folks, but do be careful of those online pervs who target youngsters.

aplogized - An apoplexy which has metastasized throughout the head.

integrety - Working closely with integrated systems.


What 2007 car should you drive?


You Should Drive a Saturn Sky

You're sleek and smooth, and you need a car to match your hot persona.
Besides, sometimes you want your top up - and sometimes you want it down.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You suck, sounds like a good read. Glad you posted about it.

Scary Monster said...

Me don't know about leaving anything behind when me goes, Me hasn't thought about immortality yet. Me does think about me last breath and me always thought that me wants to tell a joke that would creat havoc and make all the folks in the room bust out in uproarious laughter. That would be the perfect send off.

rkfinnell said...

***You Should Drive a Bentley Azure***


You're all flash, and you love to show off to anyone who will watch.
And you're such a high roller, this is just one car of many for you...

This is a total LIE. My only opinion of a car is that it is to get you from point A to point B and back again. I could care less what it looks like.

I've already told my kids I want a kickass party. No funeral. Just a party.

Camille Alexa said...

Once I wasn't
Then I was
Now I ain't again


is my epitaph.

SJ, you have progeny--multiple generations. It seems like a bit of a legacy, no?

Serena said...

I'm going to get it and read it, Steve. I'll let you know how it is.

SM, I tend to think about my mortality in terms of all the stuff I don't want to leave behind for others to see -- dirty laundry, cobwebby corners, dusty nooks and crannies, all those pairs of shoes. LOL. I do know that unless a meteor conks me on the head very fast, I plan to go out with a joke, too.

I want a funeral party, too, Roxan. No funeral, just the party.

This is true, Little Bird -- progeny is definitely a legacy, and would be included among those who are loved but won't be getting much in the way of tangible liquid legacies.:)

Corn Dog said...

It's hard not to let death govern your life.

Corn Dog said...

At least for me anyway. If I had not been dancing around the finish line so much, I guess I would have a messier house and a messier computer. As it is, everything is straightened up and it's as if I'm waiting around to for the proverbial other shoe to fall. It makes me sad in a way because I imagine I spend most of the day wondering what the point of the past 5 years has been. If it was life lessons, I've missed it. I wander around to support groups and even there people stare blankly at me. How many people walk away from cancer, a brain tumor and epilepsy and are still walking around. WTF, God?

Serena said...

Little Bird, I forgot to say that I love your epitaph. LOL. Mine might say,

Here lies Serena Joy,
Dead ... again.

I hear what you're saying, Corn Dog. I haven't been through what you have, but I often have that "waiting for the other shoe to fall" feeling. It's sort of like doom sitting on your shoulder. There's no real reason for it; it just is. In your case, I'd say you have the upper hand. You've beaten the tumor and have your house in order. With your spirit, I believe you'll continue to beat the crap out of every boogaboo that attacks you. I'm not sure there IS any point to life, so live every single minute to the fullest and grab every ounce of enjoyment you can. I think THAT'S what it's all about.

Bemused said...

If you can do all that SJ, and leave the world better for your passing through, then you have done more than most.

Serena said...

I don't know that I can leave it any better, Bemused, but I hope I won't leave it any worse.

Anonymous said...

SJ - I'm sleek and smooth, too. (But you already knew that!) Just wish I could afford this car...

quidrock

se7en said...

I love Mark Twains quote on the subject of death, something along the lines of "being dead for billions of years before he was born and not suffering any ill consequences from the experience...

But, I too have wondered what people would think of me after seeing the innards of my PC's, scary though there! LOL

Serena said...

I did know that, Quid.:) I wish I could afford the car, too.

Great (and very apropos) Twain quote, Se7en. I guess people will just have to deal with our "innards." They'll get over it.:)