Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Flame and the Fluke



I ran out – into a pouring rain – at lunch time to vote. I trust that each of you has or plans to vote as well. Now, all we can do is wait for the returns to come in to see how good or how bad it will be.

The Senate race here in Virginia between Jim Webb and George Allen has been long, heated, grueling, and outright down and dirty at times, with Allen throwing most of the mud. I’ve never been able to tolerate Allen, not even in small doses, and would vote for Richard Simmons in his silly little shorts over him. Any time. It’s already being reported that both candidates have lawyers standing by in the event either demands a recount. Geez. I’ve heard reports of problems with voting machines in various areas, too. Double geez.

People, whether they’re politicians or ordinary, everyday lay people, should take responsibility for their own words and actions, gracefully and without obfuscation. If you said it/did it, own up to it. In a perfect world, that could happen. This is not a perfect world, more's the pity. Politicians and other know-it-alls are, alas, not ordinary people. They make it much harder than it needs to be for everybody else.

Sometimes, there is a confluence of events which awakens the evil snark overlords and acts much like gasoline on kindling. Some people, I being one of them, are wont from time to time to play with fire (like during times of overwhelming synchronicity). It doesn’t take much to tease it into a raging conflagration. When that happens, whoa mama, step back while the sparks fly. With any luck at all, the burns will always be minor and superficial. Anyway, that was then and this is now. Barring some fluke or aberration of nature, I don't expect to see a return of Snark Sickness until at least the next full moon.

I have a few bent and twisted Words Gone Wild for you this afternoon.

Give us a peak -- Oh, sure, here you go -- a nice Sherpa guide to take you up Mt. Everest.

automatical – Sort of like a sabbatical except you don’t have to ask for it.

grammer – A pet name for one’s grand-mère.

Toi me – Something you might hear in a Cockney brothel – “Toi me up, guv’ner!”

auhtor – One who, lacking credentials, audits illegal businesses.

comradie – A term of endearment used by one comrade towards another.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Senate race is as much of a no-brainer as mine. Harris or Nelson? No choice at all. I wish Harris had not got the nod then I would get to actually choose a Senator. I have no issues with the Senate being GOP. Those in the Senate seem to take their positions more seriously than those in the House. The House are always worried about re-election while the Senate has 6 years between runs.

Serena said...

Surely, yours is more of a no-brainer. Nobody in their right mind would really vote for Harris, would they? This race between Webb and Allen is too close to call, so saith the pundits.

Rex Zeitgeist said...

Richard Simmons is Running?

Serena said...

I'm sure he's out running somewhere, Rex -- with those ridiculous little shorts flapping in the breeze. LOL.

Rex Zeitgeist said...

'Oh, I LOVE Barbara Streisand', said Richard 'Almost as much as public bathouses!'

Serena said...

LMBO, Rex.

Glad you liked the poor mangled words, Lesia. God, I keep this up much longer and I'm going to forget how to speak/spell. LOL. I haven't had a chance yet today to catch up w/Moristotle, but I'll head over there this evening. I owe you a visit, too.:)

Serena said...

Wow, this Senate race really is neck in neck - Webb 50%, Allen 49%. I won't be a bit surprised to see a recount fight.