Friday, October 20, 2006

"Blood-curdling..." -- Part 22


"Perhaps," Haggis laughed. "My only concern is the here and now. The future is of no concern to me."

"It should be," Devorah admonished the scaly witch. "Heed my words, Haggis One L'Mar -- your harsh treatment of others, your self-absorption, and your devotion to evil pursuits will all bring you naught, will serve only to bring you misery."

"And what about you?"

"What about me?" Devorah demanded angrily.

"What moral code could a sorceress follow?" Haggis challenged. "Do you not use your magic for your own gain?"

"For your information," Devorah responded, "while I possess the knowledge to perform black magic, I have never used it. I work only for good. Until today, when I agreed to help the likes of you."

"Then forgive me my past transgressions and let us get on with it. Do not abandon me now. Help me, Devorah, and I will do you a good turn someday, I promise."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Devorah is in a pinch. A truly good person cannot turn their backs on a person so in need, but Haggis has abused it in the past. I say let her rot.

Serena said...

I like the way you think. We may draft you to help write next year's story.

Serena said...

I know you'll carve it up creatively, Steve, so be sure and let us see it.