Saturday, September 02, 2006

From Confession to Confusion



Would you confess your deepest, darkest secrets on a Web site? Some people are doing just that. The site is http://www.mysecret.tv/.

Among the posted confessions are the woman molested years ago by her baby sitter, unable to forgive herself for failing to protect her younger siblings from the same abuse.

- A man who says he's a father, businessman, and churchgoer who is having a sexual relationship with another man in his church.

- A young woman who shot an abusive boyfriend when she was high on methamphetamine.

- This heartbreaking entry: “Years ago I asked my father, ‘How does a daddy justify selling his little girl?’ He replied, ‘I needed to pay the rent, put food on the table and I liked having a few coins to jangle in my pocket.’”

- I have verbally and physically abused my wife.

- I tell you (referring to a spouse) I love you every day. Truth is I do love you, but I’m not in love with you, and I never have been. I just don’t want to hurt you and feel worthless.

- When I was 7, I was sexually abused by a guy. Then, when I was 13, my mum did the same thing to me. Now I am 16 and scared. My doctor put me in a mental home. Sometimes, I think where is Jesus and why’s he not helping me.

And so on and so on.

About a month ago, LifeChurch, an evangelical network based in Edmond, Oklahoma, set up mysecret.tv as a forum for people to confess anonymously on the Internet.

The Internet already offers many places to "confess," from
http://www.absolution-online.com/ to the raunchy exhibitionism at sites like http://www.confessionjunkie.com and http://www.grouphug.us/. There's no way to determine, of course, whether these stories, like much on the Internet, are sincere or pure fiction.

One of the best-known sites is
http://www.postsecret.blogspot.com/, an extension of an art project in which people write their secrets on postcards and mail them to an address in Germantown, Maryland.

Since it was begun, mysecret.tv has gotten more than 150,000 hits and logged more than 1,500 confessions. Groeschel points out that absolution is not part of the bargain, just the beginning of release.


The Word Patrol ran down these renegades today. I'm going to give it a go, try to figure out what they're really saying beneath all the codes and ciphers. And you are welcome -- nay, encouraged -- to have a shot at it, too.


Awnsered my questions - It would have been better had they answered. I'm afraid that awnsering involves, well, fibbing.

if your interested - Bad, bad, bad. You're busted, dude.

I'm intregued - I think it has something to do with the Montague family coat of arms. I'll be damned if I know what.

explaination - One who is from the plain nation.

Healthy as a beat - Did he mean beet? Are beets healthy? Should they be beaten?

hardley - If a ley is a pasture for grazing by livestock, then one assumes that this is a reference to an arid, dried up field.

interrested - Why, that refers to a restful burial, of course. RIP!

No comments: